Beaumont Leys Secondary School
LMEC have successfully delivered a complete new build solution for Beaumont Leys School, which opened six weeks ahead of schedule on the 20th April 2009. This was the first BSF School in the country to complete ahead of schedule.
The exciting new building has attracted positive attention, being branded the “school of many colours ” due to the use of pinks, blues, greens, yellows and purples on the walls and floors, throughout the building.
A strong working relationship led to praise from Liz Logie, Headteacher:
“The facilities that LMEC has delivered are amazing…they have really created a new learning environment…but right throughout the build, the site manager was always on call and couldn't do enough to help. There were very few interruptions to learning as a result of the building going on. They were great! Real partners who couldn't do enough and knew that what they were building was more than bricks and mortar…it would change a Community.”
Impressive new features include:
- Managed Learning Environment giving parents and students access to various resources through their computers both in the school and at home
- A wireless network connecting the 350 computers and 52 interactive whiteboards
- A brand new sports hall, dance and drama studios and flood-lit games courts, which will all be open to the Community
- Open plan toilets to prevent bullying
- One long “high street corridor”
- Personalised swipe cards for pupil registration, paying for lunch and borrowing library books
Beaumont Leys Secondary School is a successful 11-16 mixed comprehensive school serving the north of Leicester.
The original plan for this school was a partial new build and major refurbishment. But LMEC, through careful planning and innovative design, have delivered a complete new build solution for the school. The new school provides state of the art teaching spaces, complemented by extensive IT provision.
The new school is just over 10,700 m² at a value of just over £14.3m.
The new building has a steel frame with concrete floors and an external envelope of brickwork, render, aluminium windows and curtain walling, all topped by a standing seam steel roof. The building was delivered as a turn key project with all furniture and fittings, teaching and catering equipment provided ready for the school to move in over a one week period in April.
back to main project page